SEARCHING FOR LOST CHORDS

Thursday, April 3, 2014

THURSDAY THEME SONGS # 5

 
   I have to admit it, I do truly like some Anime.  My initial mistake was thinking that all anime was either "Transformers" (like we used to see on cable tv in the 80s) or crap like Pokemon, Yugio, Card-Catchers, and other trip-- NOT SO!  There is some decent stuff out there; to be sure, the artistic style (the weird ass point tipped noses for example) and crude/choppy animation is not up to classic American animation, BUT...the dark themes and sci-fi motifs of many of the series is engaging.
 
   Without a doubt, my favorite series is COWBOY BEBOP!   I heartily recommend this 26 episode series and urge any viewers to watch it in Japanese with the English subtitles (as I would recommend watching all foreign films). 
 
Yoko Kanno (way cooler than Yoko Ono)
 
   The kick-ass opening theme "Tank" written by Yoko Kanno and performed by the "Seatbelts" is just a magnificent number. It's a groove-jam great with an extensive alto sax solo by Masato Honda.  This big-band jazz piece with a heavy latin infused hard bop is one of the best recent theme songs I've heard...my kind of modern crime-jazz retro 60s kinda music! 
 
   So:   "I think it's time to blow this scene. Get everybody and the stuff together. Ok, three, two, one let's jam,"



No comments:

Post a Comment