SEARCHING FOR LOST CHORDS

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

FAVORITE ROCK/POP ALL-TIME LIST # 65

   I'm late to everything. I didn't even get a PC until the late fall of 1999.  I'm thinking it was sometime in the Spring or Summer of 2006 that I became aware of Pandora.com.  While constructing a "station" at Pandora for Barclay James Harvest and Camel--two of my favorite bands, I was suggested (by the hocus pocus music genome programs or whatnot of Pandora) the band Nightwish!  (no, not Nightranger..."Sister Christian don't phone home, Motorhead ain't interested")

WOW!  I loved this group so much that I immediately made a "Nightwish" channel and was even introduced to a wonderful Live.365 station which played a lot of their material (that station is still going strong today on Live.365 and is named EPIC ROCK RADIO).   Nightwish introduced me to the whole field of epic, symphonic, orchestral Rock which in many ways is the kit & kin of European Power Metal.  This opened a whole new universe of music for me.  I quickly became enamored with Haggard, Therion, Epica, Kamelot, and other bands that sounded similar to Nightwish.

   For a brief time, Nightwish was the "next big thing" in my musical listening universe, and I quickly purchased five of their albums.  I loved Tarja's voice and the whole grandeur of this Finnish band.
While I listen far less to Power Metal these days then I did in 2006, the music of this band is grand enough to have me proclaim:

EUGOR's FAVORITE MUSICAL BAND  # 65  NIGHTWISH


No comments:

Post a Comment