SEARCHING FOR LOST CHORDS

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

FAVORITE ROCK/POP ALL-TIME LIST # 68

   Honestly, I don't think I had ever even heard of the GREAT STEVIE WINWOOD prior to sometime in (?) the Spring of 1983 when MTV started playing in rotation his phenomenal song "While You See A Chance."  From that moment on my "radar ears" were up for Mr. Winwood.  My wife also really likes his solo stuff and so we listen to his 1986 BACK IN THE HIGH LIFE album frequently on the car's CD player.  A casual perusal of Wikipedia tells all about Steve Winwood's musical career and numerous accomplishments.

   I don't remember why I was prompted to go to Hastings and buy TRAFFIC's 1971 album THE LOW SPARK OF HIGH HEELED BOYS. But I'm glad I did.  I think I must have read a RAVE review on-line from one of the many very helpful blogs or music sites I frequent.  It became my SUMMER auto "play" album for Summer 2012.  It's a great album and, retrospectively, I affirm its classic and much beloved status.  :D

   The stand-out track is the 11 minute title tune.  Winwood is perfect as guitarist, vocalist, and Hammond organist! And I love Chris Wood's squeakin' sax!  A great chorus floats in & out several times over what is essentially a brilliant proggy Jazz/Rock/Fusion number that has enough long instrumental passages with sufficient vibes and jams to be worthy of the best Allman's or Dead's epics.
A+ album and

EUGOR'S # 68 FAVORITE BAND:  TRAFFIC!


)

No comments:

Post a Comment