SEARCHING FOR LOST CHORDS

Monday, March 24, 2014

One of My Favorite "Song-Birds" with My New Favorite Author

  
Kate Bush is one of my favorite femal singer-songwriters ever.  She is amazingly talented.  She should be much better known and appreciated here in the U.S.  Maybe her recent un-retirement from public appearances (after some 30 years) will help.  The song embedded below (via Youtube) is fantastic on it's own, but even better as a bit of a "mash-up" with film clips from the 1957 Dana Andrews motion picture "NIGHT OF THE DEMON."    Kate, has her own images and scenes "inter-cut" with the movie (sort of like Steve Martin did in "DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID" and like Woody Allen did in one of his films; I guess FOREST GUMP does this too though I've never seen that Tom Hanks film).  
Anywho - - -



   The "NIGHT OF THE DEMON" is a modern interpretation of the pheonomenally cool 1911 short story "CASTING THE RUNES" by my new favorite author of the "unsettled" (supernatural weird stories) M.R. JAMES.    I just finished re-reading this story yesterday and, via a podcast, was tipped off to the connection with the Dana Andrews film (which I've always meant to see but have yet to). 

   So this is a marriage made in hades; the fever-swamp of a stunning goddess of melody and timbre AND a creepy atmospheric black and white "classic."

   Couldn't get much better than this.





No comments:

Post a Comment